Friday, June 19, 2015

June 18, 2015 - Simple hike to Santa Maria del Castello and waterfall in Osogna, Ticino

I decided to take the train to Bellinzona and from there the bus to Osogna, which is just before Biasca. Our friends from the north of Switzerland had told us that there was a nice grotto - an old, traditional Ticinese simple restaurant, near the waterfall. I decided to go and explore! 
The bus let me off on a frontage road from the main road. I noticed the stop was only northbound. I couldn't see where the southbound stop was - I knew I'd have to give myself enough time to find it when it was time to go home. 

The old church of Santa Maria del Castello, which is built on the ruins of an old castle, next to the waterfall. I'll take a short hike up to visit.

The old path which probably led to the castle. It's typical to find a gate here and there while hiking, as paths often lead through areas where animals graze. Please close the gate!
In the distance, on the other side of the valley, is a granite quarry. 

Inside the little church of Santa Maria del Castello.

View over Osogna and down the valley, from up at the church. 

Santa Maria del Castello

I then walked down to the bottom of the falls (the white under the tree on the left) where it forms a nice little pool - even with a little stone beach! 
The restaurant "Grotto al Pozzon" is on the other side of the pool. 

The waterfall in Osogna. I hear that back in this waterfall people do canyoning. 

Osogna waterfall

The waterfall with the church above

Grotto al Pozzon along the river

Most Grotti don't have an extensive menu. I was able to choose from roast beef (as shown), a plate of cheese and sausages, or onion soup. 

I walked a little around the town and spotted this beautiful old villa, with painted walls. 

Another old house on the piazza. I don't think I've ever seen such a tall house with the traditional stone roof. You can see the first floor wall extend out for support. The base was thicker the taller the building went. 
Looking back along the river to the church 

Ok, here's the quarry again and a funny story!  I was sitting on the bench at the bus stop when there was a huge dynamite blast.   It shook the ground and the bus stop so hard that it actually POPPED ME OFF MY SEAT! 
KABOOM!!!!!!
Here I am, waiting for the bus. As I look at this wall of mountain side, I'm always amazed to see a house perched where you think there could NEVER be one. Look closely towards the upper left of the picture in the green woods. You see a white dot. If you enlarge the picture, you'll see it's a house! There were steep cliffs below - how do they get there?
And the southbound bus stop? No, it wasn't by La Posta near the northbound stop. It was just across the bridge from the center of Osogna, on another frontage road/exit from the main road, and quite far from the northbound bus stop. Beware! 

No comments:

Post a Comment