Sunday, April 27, 2014

Davesco, Cadro, Soragno - near Lugano

Friday, April 26, 2013


April 23-24. More sun, time for more hikes in old towns

On Tuesday evening Rick and I were meeting our friends, Roberto and Giovanna, for a drink late in the afternoon. We walked along the Lugano-Cadro-Dino old train path up to Soragno, where they would meet us in their car. We headed out a little earlier to get more walking in, and we checked out the old nucleus of the town of Soragno. The first recorded history of this town was in 1335. One house had a date on it from the 1700's. We came upon an old wash pool, where they met to wash clothes and get water. During the year we lived here, we had only come upon one of these, so it was a real treat to see! It's part of an artesian well, so there is always water running into the basin.

Along another old path we found an old tree in which someone had done a carving of Mary. It never ceases to amaze me how many surprises we find no matter what street we walk down!

Our friends Roberto and Giovanna brought us to a town further into and up the valley called Villa Luganese. It also had a wonderful ancient center. We enjoyed some wine, bread and meats outside at a Grotto. A grotto, which literally means a cave in Italian, is a rustic restaurant, usually serving homemade food. Many towns have at least one grotto. They tend to also be very picturesque. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture! I promise I will next time.

On Wednesday morning Rick and I headed out in the same direction, since we wanted to see the old center of the next town, Davesco. There, we found another old wash center. From Davesco we walked to the beginning of the next town called Cadro, where we stopped at a cafe/restaurant for a drink outside. This was a long walk, and we decided to walk home too, instead of taking the bus. My body is still aching from this long walk! Phew! We are trying to enjoy the outdoors as much as we can these few days, since rain is in the forcast for the entire week after that. :-(

This evening I took pictures out our kitchen window again. I know I already posted a similar picture, but the 3 dimensional view I see is so beautiful, so I keep trying to capture it, although it will never be like in real life. Hopefully you can see what I mean - I think the light was right at the moment I took the picture.

Rick in front of the wash basins in Soragno. Notice the old stone floor.

Me by the wash basin in Soragno

See the water coming out of the face?

Carving right from the living tree. In Soragno.  


Zoomed in from our kitchen window... the church in Porza on the other side of the valley - and then look beyond this town... there is another valley behind it, and we can see the town of Arosio on the mountainside back in the distance.


Another zoomed in shot - just because I love it!
The washbasin in Davesco.

No comments:

Post a Comment