Sunday, April 27, 2014

Monte Bré to Cureggia

Friday, March 7, 2014

March 7, 2014 - A beautiful day for a hike from Monte Bré to Cureggia

View of Lake Lugano, Mont San Salvatore, the city of Lugano, and the snowcapped Alps, taken from the top of Monte Bré

Oh, I am SO enjoying the beautiful weather here, and I'm taking advantage of every moment. It was such a long, cold winter in Chicago, so it feels so good to get outside. 

Today I took the bus up to the town of Bré, which is just down the slope from Monte Bré. I first hiked to the top because I knew the view would be fantastic! There is a restaurant up there with a large terrace, although it is closed at this time of year - but the terrace is still open to check out the view. Magnificent! Basically I could see as far as the earth would let me. It is awesome to see the majestic Monte Rosa, which is the second tallest mountain in the entire Alps, after Mont Blanc. 

After the summit, I then walked back down to the town of Bré, which sits sort of in a cradle between two mountains. From there I took the trail along the mountainside towards the town of Cureggia, which actually sits up on a high ledge above my town, Pregassona. I wanted to do this hike last year, but dry, sunny days were so far and few between, and when we did get a decent day, I didn't go because there had been so much rain and I knew the path could be more dangerous. 

Oh, what a nice hike this is! I thoroughly enjoyed it, and the best part is that since there are no leaves on the trees, the view is much better than in the summertime. It was about 55-60 degrees, sunny, and no wind. Perfect! 

I have lots of pictures, and I'm sorry if some look similar to pictures from last year, but I never tire of the splendid view and I never stop thanking God for this opportunity to view his wondrous artwork! I am blessed....


Along my hike up to the top of Monte Bré. Looking down on Lake Lugano

Zooming in on Lugano and Monte Rosa
What a great place for a picnic! 

The perfect picnic spot. The town is Bré and all the other mountains seen are part of Italy. 
Hiking down the backside of Monte Bré.
Stairway back down to Bré
A panoramic view. Snow up on the left is Monte Bolla. Town of Bré in the middle. Italy in the background and on the right. The lake is Lake Lugano
Now I am on the trail between Bré and Cureggia. Great trail, isn't it?
View along the trail. A passing hiker took my picture. This is where I ate the lunch I packed. :-)
Spring flowers already in the mountains! 
A bit of a panoramic picture of my picnic spot.
A selfie of me eating my sandwich, made on pretzel bread! 
Here is more of the trail alongside the mountain
A panoramic of the trail on the left and right with a lookout point in the middle
Just a view along my hike!
I have arrived in Cureggia, which is above Pregassona, where we live. What a great view from this Grotto restaurant! 
One of the yards in the town of Cureggia. Gosh, I wish I could be invited to a party here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment